Montbrun des Corbierès is and old village with extremely old houses, that have been built to one another through the centuries. Outside of the heart of the village the houses are usually detached or semi-detached. The village was built againt a big cliff and a small mountain. In the beginning all there was, was a castle which people built their houses against. Unfortunately, the castle was later ruined by fire.
The first documentation about the village Monbrun are found around 1270. In this turbulent period the Katharen people werebanned from the area and even murdered by crossknights who held a 'holy crusade' against the de 'rebellious' Katharen. This was in order of the Pope in Rome with collaboration of the French king. This event was substantial for the Languedoc and is reffered to as Katharen.
Château de l’Horte was built in 1755 by the Marquis de St. Felix. This Marquis partly built the château from the remains of the burnt down castle in the village. The cornerstones from the château are still intact. The St. Felix had a large botanic garden around the Château, filled mainly with orchids. This flower is printed on some of the labels of our wines. The Marquis was a landownder and he owned many vineyards. Through the years the ownership was passed around several families.
The French winemaker Jean Pierre Biard and the Dutch Johanna van de Spek bought the front of the Chateau and the vineyards in 1988. The new winecellar was built in 1989 and the first harvest of 1990 was given as much as 87 points by wine author Robert Parker. This volume was also rewarded with a golden medal at the prestigious Concours Agricole in Paris.
There were many medals, awards and Vele medailles, Awards and honourable mentionings would follow. Like golden medal at the Asia Wine Style contest in Singapore and a golden medal at the Montreal Wine Selections in Canada, which is the largest wine contest of North America. Throughout the years, Jean Pierre and Johanna renovated the front part of the Château. It was only years ago when you could see through the roof when you were standing at the ground floor.
The renovation went smoothly and meanwhile, everything is finished. For the past years the company was managed from this building and the production also took place here. The guests were welcomed here, as well as winetastings and it was also the selling point of the wines locally. In the meantime, Jean Pierre and Johanna have moved into the château together with their two sons. It is their private home and the original château is now the renewed Cave and the renewed production Cave.